Advent Pt. 1 - The Necessity of Christ

Advent is described as this season of waiting, longing, expectation, preparation, yearning for the arrival of Christ or for Christmas. In many ways I believe we have as a culture secularized this idea. And that's okay! There is a redemption to this idea that exists.
One day, the rain was beating hard against the pavement and was pounding on me relentlessly on my journey to the car. I would have reached my car sooner if I had ran, but I was going about my journey in an odd way. I was taking big and scattered steps. Why? I was trying to avoid all the worms that had been washed out onto the sidewalk. I saw them scrambling to get back into the dirt where they were "safe." While I was looking like an idiot trying to get to my car, I had enough pity on them not to step on them. 
The funny thing is, when God looks down on us, worms that just crave the dirt, He doesn't pity us but He loves us. 
Yet the worms knew no better than to go back to the dirt. In their eyes, if they see some giant figure looming over them, they are naturally going to run. They needed some other worm to guide them out on to the smooth surface of the sidewalk and let them know that they are going to be okay. 
We see many times in the Old Testament how a rain comes and washes worms onto this path of righteousness until they realized they are exposed before a holy God and try to hide in the dirt again. But then God, out of love, sends His Son down to die for us so that we can realize that we can permanently partake on this path of righteousness. 
The necessity of Christ permeates deep within our being. Yet in this secularization of the Advent the idea of being needy of salvation in Christ has become blurred by a new moralism. This new moralism isn't bad because in a tough world, it does the right thing, yet there is a way of connecting this new moralism to a greater truth. Further discussion on what this is in Part 2.

0 comments:

Post a Comment